How to Avoid a Halloween Lawsuit
~ Let Your Fears R.I.P with These Safety Tips
You may have never even thought about it, but you’d be surprised how often it happens. When kids are involved, countless things can go wrong that unfortunately can erupt into a lawsuit. Here are some tips to avoid a frightening law suit on Halloween:
- Make sure your front yard, driveway and sidewalks are cleaned up nice with no trip hazards.
- Remove any other obstacles around porches, steps, etc. Think like an excited child that’s about to be storming through your yard in the dark.
- Don’t forget about the side of the house, as children will be rushing from your place to the neighbors. Trim low tree limbs. Move pots and plants, and pick up garden hoses and sprinklers.
- Keep candle-lit decorations and jack-o-lanterns clear of walk ways where hanging costumes could brush up against the flame.
- Don’t overdo it with decorations. The more you have, the more hazards you present, and the more people you will attract to those hazards. I’m not saying don’t have fun with your decorations, but at least keep them clear of walkways.
- Only serve wrapped and sealed treats. Keep the home made goods for your friends and family.
- Remind everyone to watch out for cars. Drivers have a hard time seeing every dark costume out there. Drivers, remember to be extra cautious that evening. Pedestrians have the right of way. Have patience.
- Keep your pets locked up! Monsters will scare your pets too. You don’t want a dog bite lawsuit when one attacks a ghost creeping across your yard.
- If you’re driving somewhere in your costume, take your mask off your face so you can see please.
- Lastly, make sure you are up to date on all of your insurance policies. You never know when an accident might happen, and it’s pretty easy for kids to start a lawsuit. Stay protected. Stay smart. Stay safe.