Fun and Frugal Ideas for Memorial Day
Posted On May 21, 2013
Author: Gordon McKernan
Memorial Day is a time to reflect on all of the sacrifices members of our armed forces have made for our freedom. Kicking off the summer season, we usually spend this time reconnecting with family members and friends. While some families will use the time off to travel, many are searching for low-cost activities that won’t break the bank to enjoy the three day weekend.
Low-cost activities you might want to explore:
- Community pools are usually open for Memorial Day. Check your area pools.
- Have a cookout where everyone brings a dish.
- Bring your family and friends to the park for a picnic.
- Check specials for local museums and zoos.
- Visit a local VA hospital or nursing home and visit with a veteran. This is a valuable experience for the whole family.
- Check for parades and other events in your area.
- Camping or fishing.
- Have a movie marathon with your family and friends with a “floor picnic” and popcorn.
No matter how you decide to spend your Memorial Day weekend, be sure to take some time to show your patriotism and thank a veteran for the freedoms we enjoy today.
Gordon McKernan graduated with his law degree from Loyola University in New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1992. Shortly thereafter, he joined McKernan Law Firm and has been practicing law ever since. He is the owner of the firm, and his primary area of practice is representing ‘ordinary people’ who have been injured because of another’s disregard.