The law is a complicated system that requires expertise and know-how. The consequences of trying to handle the big insurance companies on your own with the potential of court costs may end up costing more than hiring a lawyer in the first place. Having a skilled, experienced attorney can help assure that your case goes smoothly.
Hiring Legal Help for Personal Injury Cases
Personal injury laws can vary by state, parish, and city, and the legal guidelines for making a personal injury claim differ depending on what type of injury occurs. A knowledgeable attorney will be able to establish liability whether it is a car accident, big truck wreck or slip-and-fall at the workplace.
In many personal injury cases, settlements can be reached between the two parties involved in the legal dispute without litigation. If the settlement negotiations do not yield a solution, the case could be mediated or go to trial. An experienced attorney will know how to handle your case from negotiation through trial, if necessary. Without an attorney to help you make the right decisions for your claim, you can end up paying court fees you don’t have to or settling for less compensation than you deserve.
When to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
If you are struggling with the following situations, seeking legal help will help ensure fair compensation:
- Your injuries are a result of another driver’s negligence, an employer’s serious misconduct, or a third party’s actions.
- The at-fault party’s insurance company is denying your property damage claim or injury claims.
- Medical issues prevent you from returning to work or limit the work you are can perform.
- The medical expenses from the accident are coming out of pocket for deductibles and co-pays.
- Your employer is not paying you the benefits you are owed or denies your claim.
- You file a workers’ compensation claim, and your boss responds by firing or demoting you, cutting your pay, reducing your hours, or engages in any other form of discrimination.
Personal injury attorneys often provide a free initial consultation and won’t see any money unless your case is settled or won in court. In other words, hiring a personal injury attorney may not be as expensive as you anticipate, and the pros of having one in the courtroom to represent you likely outweigh the cons.