What are the most toxic household chemicals?

Home » FAQs » What are the most toxic household chemicals?

Many of the chemicals we use at home are toxic and can be very dangerous if used incorrectly, or even if they’re splashed on the skin, inhaled, or ingested. Always follow the product label on every chemical you use at home, and be especially careful with the following common household chemicals. If you are exposed and harmed, call a mass tort lawyer as soon as possible to find out if you’re eligible for financial compensation through a toxic substance mass tort claim.

  • Ammonia produces irritating fumes that can affect the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. Don’t use ammonia if you have asthma, lung, or heart problems. Never mix ammonia with chlorine products, such as bleach.
  • Bleach is a strong, corrosive substance that can irritate and even burn your skin, eyes, and lungs. Drinking bleach can cause pulmonary edema, vomiting, or coma. When using bleach, use a dust mask and wear gloves.
  • While vital to the operation of your car, antifreeze can be poisonous when ingested by humans. Antifreeze affects the heart, brain, kidney, and other organs, and is especially dangerous for pets and small children.
  • Drain cleaners are extremely dangerous chemicals that contain lye and other corrosive chemicals that can lead to burns, blindness, throat and stomach issues, and even death.
  • Many carpet cleaners contain naphthalene, which is known to cause cataracts and liver damage over time. In addition, they contain perchloroethylene, which causes cancer long-term, and dizziness, headaches, neurological damage, and other issues short-term.