Houma Brain Injury Attorney
What is a Brain Injury?
A brain injury occurs when the brain is damaged due to a blow to the head, a sudden jolt, or an external force that impacts the head. Brain injuries can range from mild concussions to more severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), and they can have long-lasting effects on an individual’s physical, cognitive, and emotional well-being.
Houma brain injury lawyers specialize in helping individuals who have suffered brain injuries to navigate the legal process and seek the compensation they deserve for their pain, suffering, medical expenses, and other damages incurred as a result of their injury.
Click to Contact Our Houma Brain Injury Lawyers Today
Types of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries can have significant impacts on an individual’s life, causing physical, emotional, and cognitive challenges. Understanding the different types of brain injuries is essential in determining the appropriate legal action to pursue and seeking fair compensation for the damages incurred.
There are various types of brain injuries, including
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): TBI occurs due to external forces causing damage to the brain, such as from a slip and fall accident or a motor vehicle collision
- Acquired brain injuries (ABI): ABI, refers to brain injuries that occur after birth, often caused by oxygen deprivation or an infection.
- Closed head injuries: Closed head injuries involve injuries to the brain without any penetration or open wound.
Each type of brain injury requires specialized knowledge to ensure victims receive the proper legal representation and necessary compensation for their injuries.
Causes of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries can have devastating and life-altering consequences for individuals and their families. There are various causes of brain injuries, ranging from physical trauma to medical negligence. Understanding the different causes is essential for identifying and pursuing legal recourse for victims seeking compensation. This article will explore some common causes of brain injuries and the importance of consulting with experienced Houma brain injury lawyers to navigate the complexities of personal injury claims.
Accidents such as car crashes, slip and falls, and workplace accidents are leading causes of brain injuries. These incidents can result in severe impacts, blows, or jolts to the head, leading to various forms of traumatic brain injury (TBI). It is crucial to consult with a Houma brain injury lawyer to determine liability and pursue legal action to hold the responsible party accountable.
2. Medical Negligence:
Medical malpractice can also lead to brain injuries. Errors during surgery, incorrect administration of anesthesia, or failure to diagnose and treat conditions promptly can cause significant harm to the brain. Houma traumatic brain injury attorneys specializing in medical malpractice cases can help victims seek justice and fair compensation for the damages caused by healthcare professionals’ negligence.
3. Sports Injuries:
Participating in contact sports like football, soccer, or boxing carries inherent risks, including the potential for brain injuries. Concussions and other brain trauma can occur from direct blows to the head or violent shaking of the body. Houma Brain injury lawyers can assist athletes who have suffered brain injuries due to negligent actions or inadequate safety measures of sports organizations, coaches, or other parties.
4. Birth Injuries:
Brain injuries can also occur during childbirth due to medical errors or negligence. Oxygen deprivation, fetal distress, improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors, or failure to perform a timely C-section can result in brain damage to the newborn. Houma brain injury attorneys with experience in birth injury cases can work to hold healthcare professionals accountable and secure compensation for the lifelong consequences of these preventable injuries.
Seeking the assistance of Houma brain injury lawyers is crucial in understanding legal options, building a strong case, and pursuing compensation to cover the medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages caused by these traumatic events.
Symptoms of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries can have a significant impact on an individual’s life, manifesting in various symptoms that can affect their cognitive, physical, and emotional well-being. Common symptoms of brain injuries include
- Cognitive changes such as memory loss,
- Difficulty concentrating,
- Problems with decision-making and problem-solving
- Physical changes can manifest as headaches, dizziness, balance issues, and even seizures
- Emotional changes such as mood swings, irritability, depression, anxiety, and personality changes
Every brain injury is unique, and the symptoms experienced may vary based on the severity and location of the injury. It is essential for individuals with brain injuries to seek medical attention and consult with healthcare professionals who can provide a thorough evaluation and develop an individualized treatment plan to manage these symptoms and improve overall quality of life.
How Houma Brain Injury Lawyers Can Help Your Case
Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys is dedicated to securing just compensation for individuals who have endured brain injuries due to the wrongful actions of others in Houma, Louisiana.
We will diligently construct a case that demonstrates the negligence and liability of the responsible party. Throughout this process, we will compile compelling evidence to establish the nature and value of our client’s damages.
This evidence may include:
- Medical Bills: Documentation of all medical expenses incurred due to the injuries sustained.
- Proof of Time Away from Work: Verification of the time taken off work as a result of the injuries.
- Documentation of Income Before Injuries: Records detailing the client’s income and financial status prior to the accident.
- Estimates for Car Repairs: Appraisals for the cost of repairing or restoring any damaged vehicles.
- Receipts for Replacing Property: Evidence of expenses related to replacing damaged property, including items such as smartphones or eyeglasses.
- Expert Testimony for Future Costs: Expert opinions and testimonies that project and substantiate future costs arising from the injuries.
- Receipts for Transportation to Doctor’s Appointments: Proof of expenses related to transportation for medical treatment.
- Receipts for Related Expenses: Documentation of any other relevant expenses tied to the injuries.
With this evidence at our disposal, we can pursue damages on behalf of our clients, which may encompass:
- Medical Treatment and Related Expenses: Coverage for all medical costs, both current and future, related to the injuries sustained.
- Future Healthcare Needs: Provision for any anticipated healthcare requirements arising from the injuries.
- Ongoing Care and Support: Compensation for ongoing care and support services necessitated by the injuries.
- Medical or Mobility Equipment: Funding for any required medical or mobility equipment.
- Lost Wages and Other Income: Reimbursement for lost wages, benefits, and other income during the period of absence from work.
- Diminished Earning Capacity: Compensation in the event that the injuries prevent the client from returning to their previous employment, resulting in a reduced earning capacity.
- Property Damages: Coverage for property damages, which may involve repairs or replacement, including vehicles.
- Miscellaneous-Related Expenses: Reimbursement for any other expenses directly associated with the injuries, supported by receipts.
Furthermore, we also pursue non-economic damages in these cases. Non-economic damages encompass the psychological suffering endured by our clients, which may include pain and suffering, mental distress, diminished quality of life, loss of enjoyment in life, and other related emotional and psychological distress.
Speak With Our Brain Injury Lawyers Near Houma Today
Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys are experienced Houma brain injury lawyers. Our team has 679+ years of combined legal experience and has recovered over $2.5 Billion for our clients. We’re confident in our ability to assist you in holding the responsible parties accountable for your injuries.
Call us now and let’s explore the endless legal possibilities for your case with a free consultation. And here’s the best part – if we don’t win, you don’t pay! That’s our unbeatable G Guarantee, making sure you’re protected as much as possible.
Houma Brain Injury Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out