A catastrophic injury lawyer can support people who’ve suffered serious injuries by guiding them through legal procedures, fighting for fair compensation, and addressing the specific difficulties that come with life-changing injuries.
If you or a loved one has experienced a severe or life-threatening injury, continue reading to discover how our Louisiana catastrophic injury lawyers can guide you through essential steps.
Investigate Your Case and Determine Liability
- A catastrophic injury lawyer will investigate the circumstances of your accident and identify the parties responsible for your injuries. This may involve reviewing police reports, interviewing witnesses, and obtaining expert testimony.
Negotiate with Insurance Companies
- Insurance companies are often reluctant to pay out full and fair compensation for catastrophic injuries. A catastrophic injury lawyer will know how to negotiate with insurance companies and fight for your rights.
File a Lawsuit
- If necessary, a catastrophic injury lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf. This will allow you to seek compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Represent You at Trial
- Finally, if a settlement agreement is unable to be reached and your case goes to trial, a catastrophic injury lawyer will represent you in court and fight for your best interests.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury is a severe injury that causes permanent or long-term disability. These injuries can have a devastating impact on the victim’s life, both physically and financially.
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury, it is important to seek legal counsel from an experienced catastrophic injury lawyer.
Important Catastrophic Injury Statistics
Catastrophic injuries are a major public health problem in Louisiana. The state has the highest rate of fatal unintentional injuries in the United States, with motor vehicle crashes, workplace accidents, and falls leading in the category.
These issues are further amplified when you include Louisiana’s high rate of firearm and drug overdose fatalities, adding to an already concerning level of catastrophic deaths.
Louisiana Medicaid’s 2018 annual report identifies the top causes of hospitalization for residents:
- Unintentional Fall – 11,200 hospitalizations
- Drug Overdoses – 3,229 hospitalizations
- Motor Vehicle Traffic – 3,047 hospitalizations
Catastrophic injuries can have a devastating impact on individuals and their families. They can lead to financial hardship, emotional distress, and physical pain. It’s important to be aware of the risks of catastrophic injuries and to take steps to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Some tips for preventing catastrophic injuries include:
- Wearing a seatbelt every time you ride in a car
- Being careful when walking or running, especially at night
- Using caution when working with machinery or equipment
- Getting regular medical checkups and following your doctor’s advice
- Being aware of your surroundings and taking steps to avoid hazards
If you or a loved one has experienced a catastrophic injury, it is important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible. A qualified catastrophic injury attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and can advocate for you to obtain the compensation you need.
Benefits of a Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Catastrophic injury cases can be complex and challenging. Insurance companies often have teams of lawyers working to minimize their payouts. A catastrophic injury lawyer can level the playing field and help you get the compensation you deserve.
Additionally, a catastrophic injury lawyer can help you with several other practical matters, such as:
- Finding and coordinating medical care: A catastrophic injury lawyer can help you find the best medical care possible and coordinate your care with multiple providers.
- Filing for disability benefits: A catastrophic injury lawyer can help you file for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and other disability benefits.
- Managing your finances: A catastrophic injury can have a significant financial impact on your family. A catastrophic injury lawyer can help you manage your finances and make sure that you have the resources you need to recover and rebuild your life.
Damages in a Catastrophic Injury Case
In catastrophic injury cases, as in any personal injury case, victims may be entitled to three basic categories of damages:
- Economic damages (or general damages) are those that can be easily calculated from receipts and other paperwork. Economic damages can cover the costs of treatment, lost wages, and other expenses. In catastrophic injury claims, experts estimate the total cost over the rest of the victim’s life.
- Non-economic damages (or special damages) are the costs of the victim’s pain and suffering, the loss of their full enjoyment of life, emotional distress, and other intangible damages. These costs are harder to calculate, so enlisting medical, psychological, and economic experts is common to determine the damages to seek.
- Punitive damages are rarely awarded in extreme cases of neglect and wrongdoing. Whereas general and special damages serve to reimburse the plaintiff, punitive damages exist to punish the defendant and prevent them from repeating their actions.
Talk to a Louisiana Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Today
If you’ve gone through a serious injury because of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, you may have a chance to get the compensation you deserve. Our team of experienced catastrophic injury lawyers at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys is here to support injured individuals in their journey to recovery and is ready to handle all of the legal intricacies along the way.
Call our Louisiana personal injury attorneys today for a no-obligation consultation about your situation. One of our dedicated catastrophic injury attorneys will listen to your case, provide legal advice, and start working on your claim right away.
GET HELP NOW!