According to the United States Department of Transportation, there are more than 500,000 truck-related accidents in the country every year. Among these, the most serious ones often involve large trucks, which people commonly refer to as “Large Trucks,” “18-Wheelers,” “Tractor Trailers,” “Semis,” or “Commercial Trucks.”
With that being said, facing a legal battle with a large trucking company can be stressful, especially when you’re seeking a fair settlement. These cases can be complex and intimidating, but with the right approach and guidance from a truck accident lawyer, you can navigate the process successfully.
In this comprehensive guide, you’ll find key steps and strategies to help you battle a large trucking company to settle your case effectively.
What are Trucking Company Accident Settlements?
Trucking company accident settlements are legal agreements reached between victims of truck accidents and the trucking companies responsible for the accidents.
These settlements aim to compensate victims for their injuries, damages, and losses resulting from the accident. When pursuing a settlement with a trucking company, it’s essential to understand the process and the factors that can influence the outcome.
How to Take on a Trucking Company Settlement: 8 Steps to Success
1. Get Medical Help
The first and most crucial step after a trucking accident is to seek immediate medical assistance. Your health and well-being should be your top priority. Additionally, prompt medical attention can provide valuable documentation of your injuries and their connection to the accident, strengthening your case.
2. Gather Evidence at the Scene
If you’re physically able, try to collect evidence at the accident scene. This includes taking photographs of the vehicles, the accident location, and any visible injuries. Gathering contact information from witnesses is also vital as their testimonies can be crucial later on.
3. Prove Negligence
To establish a strong case against the trucking company, you must prove their negligence in causing the accident. This could involve showing that the truck driver violated traffic laws, was fatigued, or failed to properly maintain the vehicle.
4. Show That the Accident Caused Your Injuries
Demonstrating a clear connection between the accident and your injuries is essential. Medical records and expert opinions can help establish this link, ensuring you receive the maximum compensation you deserve.
5. Document Your Damages
This may include medical bills, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and future expenses related to your injuries.
6. Negotiate A Settlement
With a strong case and evidence in hand, you can begin negotiations with the trucking company or their insurance provider. Having an experienced attorney by your side can significantly enhance your negotiation position.
7. Take Your Case to Court If Necessary
If negotiations fail to yield a fair settlement, be prepared to take your case to court. A skilled attorney can help you navigate the legal process and present your case effectively.
8. Hire an Experienced Louisiana Truck Accident Lawyer
Choosing the right truck accident lawyer can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. An experienced Louisiana truck accident lawyer, like those at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys, can provide the expertise and guidance you need to secure the best possible outcome.
Know Your Rights When Dealing with a Large Trucking Company
When facing a legal battle against a large trucking company following a truck accident, it’s paramount to have a comprehensive understanding of your rights as a victim. Truck accidents can lead to catastrophic injuries and substantial property damage, often leaving victims grappling with physical pain, emotional trauma, and significant financial burdens.
By being well-informed about your rights, you can effectively navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation while holding the responsible party accountable.
- Right to Compensation: As a victim of a trucking accident, you have the right to seek compensation for your losses. This includes medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and other related expenses. The responsible party, typically the trucking company or its driver, may be held liable for these damages.
- Right to Legal Representation: You have the right to hire an experienced attorney who specializes in truck accident cases. A skilled lawyer can provide invaluable guidance, advocate for your interests, and help build a strong case on your behalf. They can negotiate with insurance companies and represent you in court if necessary.
- Right to Evidence Preservation: Trucking companies are required to preserve certain evidence related to the accident, such as driver logs, maintenance records, and electronic data from the truck’s black box (Electronic Control Module or ECM). Your attorney can demand the preservation of this crucial evidence to support your case.
- Right to File a Lawsuit: If negotiations with the trucking company or their insurance provider do not result in a fair settlement, you have the right to file a lawsuit. A lawsuit allows you to present your case in court and have a judge or jury determine the appropriate compensation.
- Right to Privacy: Your medical records and personal information are protected by privacy laws. The trucking company and its representatives must respect your privacy rights throughout the legal process.
- Right to Timely Action: It’s essential to be aware of legal deadlines, known as statutes of limitations. Failing to file your claim within the specified time frame can result in losing your right to seek compensation.
- Right to a Fair Investigation: You have the right to expect a thorough and unbiased investigation into the truck accident. This may involve law enforcement agencies, accident reconstruction experts, and insurance adjusters. Any attempts to hinder or manipulate the investigation are unlawful.
- Right to a Jury Trial: In many cases, victims have the right to a trial by jury. This means that a group of impartial individuals will decide the outcome of your case based on the evidence presented.
Understanding your rights as a victim when dealing with a large trucking company in a legal case is essential for pursuing fair compensation and justice. With the guidance of an experienced attorney and a clear grasp of your rights, you can take on your trucking company insurance settlement with confidence.
Trucking Company Federal Regulations
When battling a large trucking company to settle your case, understanding the federal regulations governing the trucking industry is crucial. These regulations, enforced by agencies such as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the Department of Transportation (DOT), play a significant role in determining liability and ensuring trucking companies adhere to safety standards.
The FMCSA and DOT have established key regulations to promote safety on the roads. These regulations include restrictions on driver hours of service, mandatory rest periods, drug and alcohol testing, vehicle maintenance requirements, and weight limits for commercial trucks. Violations of these regulations can lead to severe accidents and catastrophic injuries, making it essential for victims to understand how they relate to their case.
By familiarizing yourself with the federal regulations, you can strengthen your argument and hold the trucking company accountable for any negligence or non-compliance. Your truck accident attorney will help navigate the claims process, investigate the accident scene, and ensure all necessary evidence, such as medical records and police reports, are gathered to support your claim.
Questions to Ask Your Truck Accident Lawyer
When seeking legal representation for your trucking accident case, it’s essential to ask the right questions. Here are some important inquiries to consider:
- What trucking regulations can affect my case?
- How is Injury Compensation Calculated?
- What insurance companies cover a car accident?
For detailed answers to these questions, we invite you to check out our blog, “Questions to Ask a Trucking Accident Lawyer“.
Need Help with a Trucking Company Settlement? Call Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys
Rear-ended by a company truck settlement? Don’t go through it alone! are here to provide you with the legal support and representation you need.
We have with over $2.5 Billion recovered for our clients. So, you can trust that we’re experienced at dealing with trucking companies and insurance companies that fight against claims like yours.
Don’t let a trucking company push you around. Call us now to schedule your free consultation and take the first step toward justice and compensation.
If we don’t win your case, you won’t owe us a dime, that’s the G Guarantee.
GET HELP NOW!