If you’ve been involved in a commercial trucking accident, you may be eligible for certain types of accident compensation for the damages caused. These damages can be both economic and non-economic, and in certain cases, punitive damages can also be awarded.
It’s important to consult with a knowledgeable attorney who specializes in truck accident cases if you’ve been involved in a truck accident. They can help you understand the full extent of damages you’re entitled to and guide you through the legal process to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries.
If you or a loved one are seeking immediate legal consultation following a commercial trucking accident, contact our team of Louisiana truck accident lawyers today.
For more information about semi-truck accident compensation in Louisiana, continue reading below.
Economic Damages You Can Collect for a Truck Accident
Following a commercial trucking accident, individuals who’ve suffered harm may have the right to seek economic damages to compensate for various financial losses. These damages encompass a range of elements, including property damage, medical expenses, lost wages, transportation costs, and legal fees.
With that being said, seeking legal guidance is crucial to maximize the chances of a successful and fair resolution.
Here are the types of economic damages that may be eligible for compensation in a commercial truck accident case:
Victims can seek compensation for a range of medical services and treatments.
- This includes emergency care, doctor bills, hospital stays, prescription medications, physical therapy, and long-term/future medical care.
- Documentation of all medical expenses is essential for a strong compensation claim.
Victims can claim compensation for income lost during the recovery period.
- This includes immediate and future income affected by injuries, as well as compensation for diminished earning capacity.
Property damage encompasses damage to vehicles and personal belongings in a truck accident.
- Documentation, such as photographs, repair estimates, and receipts, is crucial for a property damage compensation claim.
- Experienced truck accident attorneys can guide victims through the claims process, as well as conduct investigations to gather more obscure evidence (identifying defects, determining collateral damage, etc.)
Victims can claim transportation expenses for travel related to medical appointments.
- This includes mileage reimbursement, public transportation fares, and fees for taxis or rideshare services.
- Keeping track of these expenses and providing evidence is essential for fair compensation.
Legal fees are considered economic damages and can be claimed in a truck accident case.
- Truck accident lawyers often work on a contingency fee basis, collecting fees only if they win the case.
- Proper documentation, such as invoices and receipts, is necessary to support legal fee claims.
Non-Economic Damages You Can Collect After a Truck Accident
After a commercial trucking accident, victims are not only entitled to economic damages such as medical expenses and property damages, but they can also seek compensation for non-economic damages.
Non-economic damages are meant to compensate for the physical and emotional suffering experienced as a result of the accident.
Examples of non-economic damages that can be claimed after a truck accident include:
- Pain and suffering, which encompasses the physical discomfort and mental anguish endured.
- Loss of enjoyment of life, which addresses the loss of ability to participate in activities that were once enjoyed.
- Mental anguish, such as fear, anxiety, or humiliation, can also be considered recoverable damages.
- Scarring or disfigurements resulting from the accident can also warrant compensation for the emotional trauma caused.
To ensure fair compensation for economic and non-economic damages, it’s crucial to work with an experienced truck accident lawyer. These professionals understand the complexities of truck accident cases and can help victims navigate the legal process to obtain the compensation they deserve for their physical and emotional suffering.
Wrongful Death Damages After a Loved One Dies in a Truck Accident
Losing a loved one in a truck accident is a devastating experience that can leave the family grappling with emotional and financial burdens. When a wrongful death occurs, family members have the right to seek compensation for the damages they have suffered as a result of their loved one’s untimely death.
Here are some of the damages that can be claimed in a wrongful death case after a truck accident:
1. Lost Wages: Family members can seek compensation for the financial support they would have received from their deceased loved one. This includes the income that would have been earned over the deceased’s lifetime.
2. Loss of Care or Companionship: The loss of care, guidance, and companionship that the deceased would have provided to their family members can also be claimed as damages. This extends to the emotional support, advice, and nurturing that the deceased would have offered.
3. Medical Costs: If the deceased received medical attention before passing away, the family can seek compensation for the medical expenses incurred during their treatment. This includes hospital bills, medication costs, and any other related medical expenses.
4. Funeral and Burial Costs: The expenses associated with the funeral and burial of the deceased can also be claimed. This includes costs for the funeral service, burial plot, casket, headstone, and other related expenses.
5. Pain and Suffering: The pain and suffering endured by the deceased before their death can also be considered in a wrongful death case. This includes any physical or emotional suffering they went through as a result of the truck accident.
To ensure fair and just compensation for these wrongful death damages, it is crucial to seek the assistance of an experienced truck accident lawyer. They can guide and support you through the legal process, helping you understand your rights and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Punitive Damages Are Available in Some Truck Accident Cases
In some truck accident situations, victims might be entitled to punitive damages on top of other types of compensation.
Unlike economic & non-economic damages, whose priority is securing compensation, the goal of punitive damages is to impose severe penalties and discourage similar behavior in the future by sending a clear message of intent to the responsible party.
To qualify for punitive damages in a truck accident case, specific conditions must be met:
- The victim must demonstrate that the wrongdoer acted with fraud, malice, or deliberate misconduct.
- This means the negligent party’s actions went beyond simple carelessness; they intentionally caused the accident or showed a reckless disregard for others’ safety.
- Punitive damages can be especially important in truck accident cases, where collisions with large trucks can cause severe consequences. They not only provide extra compensation but also act as a strong warning against future misconduct by truck drivers and companies.
If you’ve been in a truck accident, it’s crucial to consult with an experienced truck accident lawyer. They can evaluate your case, determine if punitive damages are possible, guide you through the legal process, protect your rights, and help you pursue the fair compensation you deserve.
Talk to a Louisiana Truck Accident Lawyer About Compensation for Trucking Accidents Today
If you’ve been involved in a commercial trucking accident and want to ensure you receive fair compensation for your damages, it is essential that you contact a Louisiana Truck Accident Attorney. Take advantage of a free consultation with a truck accident lawyer today to protect your rights and seek the compensation you deserve.
With over 679+ years of combined legal experience, Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys has helped residents recover over $3 Billion in damages after their accidents—and we’re confident we can help you too!
Our law firm has successfully won 200+ Personal Injury Million+ verdicts and settlements for our clients. With that being said, our goal is to provide the support you need and to ensure you receive the highest truck accident compensation for your injuries.
Plus, as part of our G Guarantee, you won’t owe us anything unless we win your case! Give our Louisiana personal injury attorneys a call today.
GET HELP NOW!