Hurricane Damage Claims Attorney in Lafayette
Hurricanes happen in many parts of the world, and they definitely don’t shy away from Lafayette, Louisiana.
In the event of a hurricane, it’s common for people to experience damage in a multitude of ways. If you have suffered damages due to a hurricane in Lafayette, you should seek the help of an experienced hurricane property damage lawyer.
At Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys, we understand the complexities that come with handling hurricane damage claims. Our team of experienced Lafayette hurricane claims lawyers specialize in representing people that have suffered losses due to hurricanes.
We firmly believe it’s our duty to work diligently to help our clients get the compensation they deserve!
Click to Contact Our Lafayette Hurricane Claim Attorneys Today
Weather Disaster Statistics
Hurricane damage can be painfully destructive. In fact, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) stated that there were 56 weather disasters in the U.S. from 2019 to 2021 that each resulted in over $1 billion in damages.
In addition to that, from 1980 to 2021, the estimated damage total from weather-related disasters is $2.155 trillion.
Common Types of Hurricane Damage:
Hurricanes are considered one of the most destructive natural disasters on Earth due to their high winds, heavy rainfall, and flooding.
Outside the home, some of the most common types of damage caused by hurricanes include fallen trees damaging homes, roofs being torn off buildings, and structural and foundation damage that can render a home uninhabitable.
In addition, strong winds can cause utility damage, affecting telephone lines, power lines, internet, and water lines for days or even weeks.
Inside the home, hurricanes can cause damage such as water damage, mold growth, and other interior damage when the storm breaches the building’s roof or shatters windows.
Equipment damage, including damage to heating and A/C systems, appliances, generators, and other equipment, is also a significant risk during and after a hurricane.
Caution: While the best way to prevent these damages is to properly prepare for hurricane season, hurricanes can still cause major damage to your home and lifestyle no matter how much you prepare in advance. This is why it’s important to seek the help of a qualified Lafayette hurricane claims lawyer who can guide you through the legal process and help you get the compensation you need as you start to move forward.
How to File a Hurricane Damage Claim in Lafayette
According to Louisiana law, property owners have 180 days from the catastrophic event to file an insurance claim. Even though you have nearly half a year, it’s a good idea to get the process started as soon as possible.
If you have suffered damages from a hurricane in Lafayette, Louisiana, you should take the following steps:
1. Call your insurance company and provide them with all the necessary information, including your policy number, the date of the hurricane, and the amount of damage.
2. Document the damage by taking pictures and videos of your property, including any personal belongings that were damaged as well as purchase dates if possible.
3. Mitigate further damage such as covering broken windows with plastic or a tarp, turning off the electricity to avoid potential fires, and eliminating any debris that can cause harm.
4. Meet with the adjuster assigned by your insurance company. Be sure to provide them with all the documentation you have and ask as many questions as possible.
5. Submit your claim to the insurance company. It should include the adjuster’s estimate, a copy of your policy, and any documentation you have collected.
6. Follow up to regularly check the status of your claim. This is probably the most difficult part, but since nearly everyone else in the area will be going through the same process, there’s an unfortunate chance that you may have to wait a few weeks or months. However, if your home is too damaged to live in, keep each and every receipt from hotels, restaurants, etc. so you can be reimbursed properly.
7. Collect your payment and make sure it’s enough to cover the repairs to your property. If you discover more damage after your initial claim, you can reopen it.
Hurricane Attorney Near Me
Insurance companies are known for attempting to pay out the bare minimum possible. If this resonates with you, it’s advisable to hire an experienced Lafayette hurricane claims lawyer to help you.
At Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys, we’ve helped thousands of Louisianans with their hurricane claims, so we know what it takes to get your insurance to pay you properly for the damages you’ve suffered—and we’re not afraid to take your case to court if we need to.
Give our team of Lafayette hurricane claims lawyers a call at 337.999.9999 for a free consultation about your legal options. We’re confident that we can help you get the money you deserve, and if we don’t win, you won’t owe us a dime—that’s the G Guarantee.
Lafayette Hurricane Claims Attorney Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out