Houma Hurricane Attorney
Recognizing the enduring and impactful consequences of hurricanes in the Houma area, the team at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys empathizes with the community’s struggles.
The aftermath of significant events like Hurricane Katrina in 2005, and more recently Hurricane Ida in 2021, has left a lasting impact on communities and continues to affect residents to this day. According to the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Ida incurred over $55 billion in damages and resulted in 55 deaths.
Given the heightened risk of flooding and other hurricane-related damages, many residents in Houma have wisely invested in insurance coverage, either voluntarily or as a requirement. However, the unfortunate reality is that insurance providers often employ tactics to deny claims or minimize payouts, prioritizing their profits over assisting those most in need.
If you find yourself grappling with the physical, mental, and proprietary damages inflicted by a hurricane while your insurance claim is met with resistance, seeking the assistance of a seasoned Houma hurricane lawyer becomes crucial.
For more helpful information as well as how a hurricane claims attorney near Houma can help you, continue reading along.
Click to Contact Our Houma Hurricane Claims Lawyers Today
Is Flooding Covered by My Louisiana Insurance?
CAUTION: In Houma, Louisiana, the majority of homeowner’s insurance policies do not include coverage for flooding. This is why you should look into getting a separate flood insurance plan to protect your home and assets against potential harm caused by flooding, hurricanes, and other severe weather conditions.
Although homeowner’s insurance does not provide protection for flood-related damage, many auto insurance policies do cover such damages. This is why it’s strongly suggested that you review your policy or contact your insurance provider to confirm your coverage in the event of a hurricane.
How Long Do I Have to File My Louisiana Hurricane Claim?
Louisiana law mandates that property owners submit claims for catastrophic events within 180 days of the incident. Although the time frame might seem ample, this six-month period passes quickly, so it is advisable to initiate the claims process at the earliest opportunity. Contact our personal injury attorneys in Louisiana for help with initiating a claim.
Types of Hurricane Damage in Houma
Houma, LA is unfortunately vulnerable to the destructive forces of hurricanes, which stand as some of the most potent natural disasters on Earth. These weather events often result in substantial and costly damage to residences and properties. Formidable winds, substantial rainfall, and the looming threat of flooding are all factors that contribute to a hurricane’s potential damages, all of which can total up to hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
Throughout our extensive experience assisting individuals in Houma during such disasters, we’ve observed common types of damage suffered by our clients:
Hurricane-force winds can inflict significant damage to roofs, leading to repair costs that may reach thousands of dollars. In severe cases, entire roofs may be forcibly detached from their structures.
The hurricane’s impact can result in structural damage, such as foundations shifting or cracking, rendering homes uninhabitable.
Hurricanes may cause utility disruptions, including downed telephone and internet lines, severed power lines, and damaged water mains. These disruptions can persist for days or even weeks, leaving residents without power and clean water.
Storms breaching buildings by tearing off roofs or shattering windows can lead to interior damage, encompassing issues like water damage and mold growth.
The risk of damage extends to various equipment, including HVAC systems, appliances, generators, and other essential items, both during the storm and in its aftermath.
While diligent preparation for hurricane season is the best preventive measure, even the most thorough precautions may not fully shield against harm. In such instances, seeking assistance from an experienced hurricane lawyer near Houma becomes essential.
How Do I File a Houma Hurricane Damage Claim?
If your home or property has been damaged in a hurricane near Houma, take these steps to maximize your compensation for your damages:
1. File a Claim with Your Insurance Company
The extent of damage to your home will determine whether you need to file a claim with multiple insurers.
- Property, buildings, and other structures with water damage will be covered by flood insurance
- While wind damage is generally covered by homeowner’s insurance, your policy might require a “wind insurance endorsement” to cover storm wind damage
- If your car has been damaged in the storm, you’ll need to call your auto insurance company to file a claim too
2. Document Your Damages
You should take photos and videos of everything that has been damaged, including the following:
- Interior and exterior home damage
- Structural damage to your house and its foundation
- Roof damage
- Car damage
- Fallen trees on the property
- Flooded structures and property
- All other damages you and your property has suffered
3. Take Inventory of Your Losses
Locate all items lost or damaged in the storm and document them with either photographs or written descriptions. If available, include receipts from the time of purchase to verify their values.
4. Start a Claim Log
Write everything down, both for your own records and to serve as evidence in the claims process. Every time you log a damaged item or submit paperwork, speak with insurance or your Houma hurricane damage lawyer, or write it in your claim log so that you can keep track of it later.
5. Get Estimates for the Cost of Repairs
Find a contractor you can trust to estimate the cost of your home repairs, ideally before you meet with your insurance adjuster. Having an estimate ready to show your adjuster will help you understand if insurance is offering enough to cover your damages, or if you’ll need to enlist the help of a hurricane attorney at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys.
6. Meet with Your Insurance Adjuster
An adjuster will come to your property to survey its damage and determine the worth of your claim. When they come out, present them with evidence to save time and ensure your claim is valued properly.
7. Wait for Recovery
Waiting for your home to be repaired is the hardest part of the recovery process for most hurricane damage victims. However, because hurricanes are giant storms, everyone in the area is likely going through a similar process to yourself, so you might have to wait weeks or even a few months.
If your home is too damaged to live in during this time and you have to stay at a hotel, keep receipts from those stays, as well as restaurant bills and other costs you incur due to being displaced. Your insurer should reimburse you for these as well.
8. Collect Your Payment
Make sure your insurance payment is enough to cover the repairs to your property. If you find more damage after the initial claim, you can reopen the process to apply for more funds.
If insurance refuses to pay you a fair amount for your damages, you may have to file a lawsuit to force them to pay out. Call Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys for a free legal consultation about your options after a devastating hurricane accident.
Why Hire a Houma Hurricane Claims Attorney?
One of the most important decisions you will make during this time is whether or not to hire a Houma hurricane lawyer. An experienced hurricane insurance lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal process of recovering from hurricane damage, and they can ensure that you receive the full compensation that you are entitled to.
Here are Some of the Benefits of Hiring a Houma Hurricane Lawyer:
- Knowledge of hurricane damage law: Hurricane lawyers have extensive knowledge and experience in handling hurricane damage claims. They understand the complex legal issues involved in these cases and can help you protect your rights.
- Maximizing your insurance claim: Hurricane lawyers can help you maximize your insurance claim by ensuring that you are properly compensated for all of your losses. They can identify and document all of the damages to your property, including both structural and personal property damage.
- Handling denials and appeals: If your insurance claim is denied, a hurricane lawyer can help you file an appeal. They can gather evidence and present your case to the insurance company in a way that is likely to be successful.
- Reducing stress and anxiety: The aftermath of a hurricane can be extremely stressful, and dealing with insurance claims can add to that stress. Hiring a hurricane lawyer can take the burden of dealing with your insurance claim off of your shoulders, allowing you to focus on rebuilding your life.
If you’ve suffered property damage from a hurricane, it’s important to consult with an experienced Houma hurricane lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer can help you understand your legal options and protect your rights.
Hiring a Houma Hurricane Lawyer can Also Help You:
- File your hurricane insurance claim in Houma on time: There are strict deadlines for filing insurance claims after a hurricane. A hurricane lawyer can ensure that your claim is filed on time and that you do not miss out on any important deadlines.
- Gather evidence to support your claim: To receive compensation for your losses, you will need to provide evidence to support your claim. A hurricane lawyer can help you gather the necessary evidence, including photos, receipts, and repair estimates.
- Negotiate with your insurance company: Insurance companies often try to lowball policyholders after a hurricane. A hurricane lawyer can negotiate with your insurance company on your behalf to ensure that you receive a fair settlement.
Speak with a Houma Hurricane Claims Lawyer Today
If your insurance company falls short in covering your losses from the hurricane, don’t worry—there’s a way forward. You can challenge their decision with the support of a Houma hurricane claims lawyer.
At Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys, we’ve been in the business of helping folks in Houma recover from hurricanes for decades. We understand the struggle and know what it takes to secure the money you need to rebuild.
Give our team of Louisiana hurricane claim lawyers a call today, and let’s chat about your situation in a free consultation. Our knowledgeable team has 679+ years of combined legal experience with over $3 Billion recovered for our clients, so we’re confident we can help you hold the people responsible for your injuries accountable.
If we don’t win your case, you won’t owe us a dime, that’s the G Guarantee. It’s time to Get Gordon and Get it Done!
Houma Hurricane Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out