Explosion Lawyer in Hammond
Heavy industry, like oil refineries, chemical processors, and others, are a lynchpin of Louisiana’s economy. The hardworking men and women working at Louisiana industrial plants generate millions, if not billions, of dollars in revenue, and their employers generate thousands of good-paying jobs in our state. However, these plants often view their employees as expendable units of labor, rather than the people they are.
When any employer neglects to care for their workers’ safety, the risk of a catastrophic workplace accident is greatly increased. This is even more true for refineries and other industrial settings, because those jobs are inherently more dangerous. When a plant suffers an explosion, workers, their families, and the entire community can be harmed by fire, smoke, and toxic chemicals.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a plant explosion, you need an advocate to fight for your fair compensation. The plant explosion lawyers with Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys have over 679+ years of combined legal experience helping Hammond victims of accidents recover the funds they need to heal. Call us today at 985.888.8888 for a free legal consultation or reach out to us by filling out our easy-to-use online form below.
Click to Contact Our Plant Explosion Injury Lawyers in Hammond Today
Causes of Hammond Plant Explosions
The vast majority—over 90%—of plant explosions and other industrial accidents are completely preventable. Tragically, this means most of these deadly accidents are caused by negligence by company management or ownership.
All companies are responsible for keeping their employees and communities reasonably safe. When an industrial company neglects its duty of care to these parties by neglecting proper maintenance or safety protocols, a number of factors can lead to explosions:
- Bad wiring or improperly-powered equipment
- Smoking near flammable substances
- Airborne particle buildup
- An untrained or improperly-trained workforce
- Poor emergency preparation
- Poor safety protocols
- Inadequate safety equipment
- Human error
Louisiana Chemical Plant Accidents
Even though it’s vital for worker safety and community health, Louisiana industrial plants neglect basic safety protocols all too often, resulting in catastrophic events such as fires, explosions, injuries, and wrongful death. Some of the more recent catastrophes rocking Louisiana towns include
- Westlake Chemical in Westlake, LA, near Lake Charles exploded twice within six months in late 2021 and early 2022, injuring at least 23 workers and possibly exposing the community to thousands of pounds of toxic gas.
- The Honeywell Geismar plant experienced a toxic gas leak in October 2021, killing one worker and injuring others.
- The Packaging Corporation of America in Deridder exploded in 2017, killing three workers and injuring seven more.
Every plant explosion in Louisiana has the capability to send dozens, if not hundreds, of people to the hospital or morgue. They can also cause devastating effects in the surrounding community, leading to increased asthma and cancer rates, toxic chemical exposure, and other problems.
Common Hammond Plant Explosion Injuries
When a plant explodes, catastrophe and trauma follow. Victims of explosions often experience catastrophic injuries, including the following:
- Extensive burns requiring surgery, physical therapy, and lifelong treatment; third- and fourth-degree burns can also result in permanent disfigurement and scarring
- Exposure to toxic chemicals released during a fire or explosion, leading to organ damage, brain injury, suffocation, cancer, and other injuries
- Internal damage from the blast of an explosion
- Neck and back injuries, or spinal cord injuries, leading to disability and paralysis
- Wrongful death
What Should I Do If I’m Hurt in a Hammond Plant Explosion?
If you or a loved one was injured in a Hammond plant explosion, you could be eligible for compensation. However, the owners of the plant will do their best to get out of paying you and other victims what you deserve to account for your damages, which can include any of the following:
- Hospital bills, such as surgery and treatment expenses
- Ongoing costs of physical therapy, medications, medical care, and assistive devices
- Lost wages due to missing work
- Future costs of diminished earning capacity due to disability or inability to work
- Pain and suffering
- Decreased quality of life
When you’re seeking compensation for your injuries following a plant explosion, you need a lawyer who’s experienced going up against the corporate owners of these plants. They often have huge legal teams that are committed to defending their clients from the liability they hold, so you need a lawyer who’s just as committed to your interests.
Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys is a Hammond personal injury law firm with 679+ years of combined legal experience fighting for victims of corporate negligence. We specialize in representing victims of industrial accidents and plant explosions, and we know what it takes to prove your case to the court.
When you call us at 985.888.8888, a dedicated lawyer will listen to what happened and begin investigating the accident right away. We’ll interview witnesses and others involved, help you file paperwork, and represent you in court if need be. Give us a call today and get started on your path to healing.
Hammond Explosion Injury Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out