Slip & Fall Lawyer in Lake Charles
Premises liability, as defined under personal injury law, entails the property owner’s responsibility for injuries sustained on their property. According to Louisiana law, it’s mandatory for property owners to make sure their property is well maintained and meets a specific standard of safety. If they don’t, they could be found liable for injuries that occur on their property. If you’ve been injured in an accident on someone else’s property, a slip and fall lawyer may need to be contacted to evaluate your case.
Experiencing a premises injury due to a slip and fall or other mishap may cause you to have to pay for expensive medical care, go through extensive rehabilitation, miss work, as well as other things, so you deserve financial compensation if your accident occurred due to someone else’s negligence.
A slip and fall accident can happen just about anywhere, including:
- Apartment complexes
- Parking lots
- Department stores
- And more
If you’ve been involved in an accident at any of these types of locations in Lake Charles, contact Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys today to receive a free consultation as to your legal options.
Click to contact our Slip & Fall Accident Lawyers in Lake Charles Today
What You Should Do after a Slip and Fall Accident
There are steps you should take as soon as possible, if you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property:
- Seek medical help. Making sure you get medical help is not only important for your well-being, but it can also help determine the full extent of your injuries and how much compensation you are owed in your slip and fall case.
- Examine your fall’s location and the substance you slipped on (Was it coffee? Water? Was there a “wet floor” sign?).
- Take pictures of the accident scene if you’re able, including pictures of the floor/what you fell on, as well as the liquid/substance.
- Note the names and phone numbers of any witnesses who were there.
- Contact a slip and fall accident attorney as soon as possible. The sooner the better is ideal when it comes to a lawyer for slip and fall incidents.
Do You Have a Slip and Fall Case?
When it comes to a slip & fall claim, it’s paramount the plaintiff proves that the defendant failed in maintaining, preventing, or giving disclosure about a certain condition on their property. To help prove your injuries came about due to the negligence of the property owner, it’s a good idea to get help from a knowledgeable slip and fall accident lawyer to help you gather evidence, work out insurance, and gain the compensation you deserve.
Common Injuries Involving Slip and Fall Accidents:
Any of the following injuries, as well as others, can occur due to a slip and fall incident:
- Broken bones
- Dislocated joints
- Head trauma, like a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or concussion
- Long-term incapacitation
- Neck or back injuries
- Bruises, scrapes, or cuts
- Wrongful Death
- Spinal cord injuries that could lead to paralysis
- Torn ligaments, sprains, or strains
Slips and falls can occur anywhere, are frequently unanticipated, and can happen to anyone. Additionally, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say that older people are particularly vulnerable to injuries from falls.
Slip and Fall Hazards to Consider:
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the possibility of a fall is a significant medical concern . The removal of potential trip, slip, or fall hazards should be a priority for property owners, including:
- Badly-lit areas like parking garages, access corridors, and others
- Slick floors caused by water from spills; tracked in mud, rain, or snow; or naturally slick surfaces
- Uneven surfaces like torn carpet, uneven bricks, or potholes
- Scaffolding and ladders
- Staircases and ramps, especially with loose or broken treads and poor handrails
- Clutter in hallways, aisles, and walkways
What is the Deadline for Filing a Slip and Fall Claim?
Louisiana’s statute of limitations determines how much time you have to submit a claim, which is usually one year from the date of the slip and fall injury. A court dismissal is likely if the paperwork is not submitted before the deadline passes.
However, there could be extenuating or limiting circumstances. Our slip and fall lawyers are prepared to assess the deadline that might be relevant in your case. As the clock may have already started to run on your slip and fall claim, we advise getting in touch with our firm as soon as you can.
Get in Touch with a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Lake Charles ASAP
If you’ve unfortunately been hurt in a slip and fall accident, you don’t have to deal with it alone. When it comes to injuries like these, you can be caught completely off-guard which can result in lost work, medical fees, and ongoing therapy. No matter what, you deserve someone who can help you gain the compensation you need and deserve.
The Louisiana trip and fall injury attorneys at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys have over 679+ years of combined legal experience helping Louisiana residents recover damages from their accidents. Our knowledgeable staff is certain that we can assist you in holding those accountable for your injuries.
Lake Charles Slip & Fall Accident Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out