How do you File for Workers’ Compensation?

Home » FAQs » How do you File for Workers’ Compensation?

If you’ve been hurt on the job, you should file for workers’ compensation as soon as possible. There are three main steps to filing for workers’ comp, including

  1. Report the accident or injury to your employer within 30 days of the accident occurring or you discovering it. Your employer will then have 10 days to notify their workers’ compensation insurance provider of the injury and begin the claims process. You should request a copy of both your incident report and the First Report of Injury (Form 1007) that your employer sends to insurance for your records.
  2. The insurance company will investigate and process your claim and determine the benefits it will provide you to heal. If your workers’ compensation claim is denied, you can file a Disputed Claim for Compensation (Form 1008) with the Louisiana Office of Workers’ Compensation. You can attempt to resolve the dispute with insurance, or your case could go to trial. This could take 3 to 6 months to resolve.
  3. Call Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys for a free consultation about your workers’ compensation situation. Our workers’ compensation lawyers are experienced in helping our clients recover the compensation they’re owed for their injuries. We’ve helped our clients recover over $2.5 Billion in our 679+ years of combined legal experience, and we can help you too. If your employer or their insurance is giving you the run-around about your workers’ compensation, you can’t wait the months it can take to resolve your case. Give us a call at 888.501.7888 and we’ll help you find the money you need to heal from your injuries and move on with your life.

Call the Louisiana workers’ comp attorneys at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys today. We promise we won’t charge you a dime until we win your case—that’s the G Guarantee.