Truck Accident Attorney for Maintenance Issues
In 2021, there were 114 fatal truck crashes—3 fatalities occurred daily on Louisiana interstates. Also, 2,913 commercial vehicles were involved in accidents with nonfatal injuries in the same year. This is partly because commercial trucking consists of lengthy hours that include unanticipated delays, tight deadlines, and sometimes poor road conditions. Other causes for truck accidents can be improperly loading the cargo, exceptional labor, and maintenance issues. If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident due to maintenance problems, please contact a Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys that specializes in truck accidents to get the assistance you deserve!
Click to Contact Our Truck Accident Lawyers in Louisiana Today
Common Truck Maintenance Issues
Commercial trucking in Louisiana continues to flourish, employing drivers and paying them well. However, this industry also deals with truck maintenance issues, which can lead to a potential accident. Although big trucks are designed to handle tough roads, they still require constant maintenance to stay in operating condition. Continue reading for a list of some common truck maintenance issues.
- Braking failure is dangerous for large trucks, because it can create a devastating impact if the truck collides with another vehicle. This is why the braking system should be maintained and checked regularly before any obvious squeaking occurs.
- Problems with lights may lead to crashes if they are not properly working, especially at night. This is because lights such as head lamps, brake lamps, and turn signals provide visibility and assists in signaling driver intentions.
- Powertrain failures can cause the engine, drivetrain, and transmission to malfunction. It’s important to provide adequate care for each component of the powertrain system, so the truck will operate properly.
- Suspension problems prevent a truck driver from making a proper turn or stop. This can lead to a catastrophic accident or wrongful death, which could’ve been prevented by properly taking care of the suspension system.
- Tires should meet minimum tread depth standards and need to be inflated to the correct pressure. If not, the tires can fail even with a light cargo load.
The personal injury lawyers at Gordon McKernan have 679+ years of combined legal experience when it comes to truck accidents in Louisiana. As a result, we are well-versed in truck maintenance laws and regulations. If yourself or someone you know has an injury due to truck maintenance not being met, get in touch with our truck accident attorneys. Our priority will be winning you the maximum compensation possible!
Who is Responsible for Truck Maintenance?
Just like any other motor vehicle, commercial trucks have to be inspected. This is because accidents involving improper maintenance on a truck can be dangerous and sometimes fatal. So, who is responsible for truck maintenance? Both the driver and truck carrier are in control of making sure the maintenance is completed plus reported properly.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there are particular guidelines that require people to regularly maintain, inspect, and repair any vehicle in their possession, including a semi-truck. This means that at all times, every part is expected to be in safe working order. In order to ensure this, truck drivers must complete daily inspections, and report to their employer any problems that could cause the truck to not be safe or break down. If or when an issue arises, it must be reported and repaired before the driver is allowed to get back on the road. In addition, the driver must have proof of the repair on file for up to three months.
How to Know if Lack of Maintenance Caused an Accident
It’s a good idea to get in contact with Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys, if you’re needing to determine whether an accident was the result of neglected or poor truck maintenance. Although commercial trucking companies must keep records of inspections and maintenance, one of our lawyers can help grant access to those records, and look over them for any inconsistencies. In some instances, a trucking company may even have a reputation of repeatedly avoiding maintenance, or refusing to take a truck off the road when mechanical problems occur. This can be due to inspections or repairs causing delivery delays, so drivers and companies will bend the rules, or even ignore them all together.
Types of Compensation Offered
Do you or someone need a truck injury attorney? Come stop by our firm, where we analyze truck injuries related to maintenance issues. There’s a high chance you may be entitled to compensation for your reduced quality of life. Let our team of Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys meet with you today to discuss your case! You could be compensated for things like:
- Medical expenses such as: emergency room treatment, hospitalization, ambulance transportation, surgery, medical testing, and medication
- Past and future wages lost from not being able to work
- Future medical needs like rehabilitative care and follow-up appointments
- Damage on the vehicle or property
- Pain, suffering, and mental distress resulting from your injuries
- Impairment to your income-earning capacity
How our Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help
You may be unsure what to do next, if you suspect that improper maintenance on a truck was the cause of an accident. At Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys, we want to help you throughout your case. Our team is willing to:
- Identify who is liable for the accident
- Obtain testimonies from engineers, mechanics, accident reconstructionists, and other professionals.
- Compile evidence such as police reports and maintenance records
- Compromise with insurance companies and other reliable parties
- Fight for a settlement that compensates you for all losses
- If necessary, take your case to court
It’s crucial for trucking companies to be held accountable for their negligence, so the proper compensation can be given. Our Louisiana truck accident attorneys are known for helping people in commercial vehicle accidents, especially involving maintenance issues. We want to be a part of ensuring the safety of drivers by holding truck drivers and carriers responsible for any negligence.
If you or someone you know has been hurt in an accident involving a large truck, or any kind of car accident, get in touch with Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys at 888.501.7888 for a consultation! We’ll lay out your options and rights, as well as determine if neglected vehicle maintenance took place.
Louisiana Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out