Roundup Cancer Lawyer in Louisiana
If you’ve developed non-Hodgkin lymphoma after being exposed or using the toxic product Roundup, which is a brand of weed-killer, you could be entitled to financial compensation by joining a mass tort lawsuit. Mass torts are one way for large groups of people who are all victims of a corporation’s negligence to seek compensation for their damages. By working with an experienced mass tort lawyer, you can begin taking legal action to recover the costs you’ve borne due to your exposure to Roundup.
Mass torts can be confusing for victims who want to hold a defective product’s manufacturer accountable. That’s why it’s important to find a mass tort lawyer who has experience in cases like these and who knows what it takes to win your compensation.
History and Dangers of Roundup
Agricultural giant Monsanto introduced Roundup as a novel herbicide in 1973. Roundup’s active ingredient is a powerful weed-killer called glyphosate, which is toxic to most plants. However, Monsanto also developed and sold so-called “Roundup-Ready” crops, which were immune to the toxin—allowing glyphosate to be sprayed liberally on crops to keep weeds at bay.
However, since 1985 scientists have been researching the health risks associated with glyphosate exposure in humans. Their research has led the World Health Organization to state the glyphosate is likely carcinogenic to humans. Because of these findings, consumers in the United States began suing Monsanto in 1996, first for false advertising that Roundup was “practically non-toxic” to animals.
In the 2010s, Roundup cancer lawsuits began appearing from agricultural workers and other Roundup users alleging that the pesticide had caused their cancers. In these cases, the juries determined that Monsanto had failed to adequately warn consumers of the cancer risks Roundup posed. In fact, the company “was more concerned with tamping down safety requirements and manipulating public opinion than it was with ensuring its product is safe,” as one judge put it.
Ongoing Roundup Litigation
Mass tort lawsuits against Bayer, who now owns the brand after purchasing Monsanto in 2018, are still being litigated today. Roundup lawyers speaking on behalf of garden center workers, landscapers, agricultural workers, and school employees who’ve developed cancer claim that Monsanto either knew or should have known about the risk of cancer resulting in exposure, and did nothing.
Mass torts are a type of lawsuit aiming to streamline the legal claims against one defendant when multiple people allege similar damages due to the defendant’s negligence. Usually, a bellwether trial will serve as a “test case” to figure out next steps in the rest of the claims.
These Roundup lawsuits allege that Monsanto was aware of the cancer risks posed by glyphosate as early as the 1970s, and had been actively hiding the truth from the public in order to sell more herbicide. The manufacturer still maintains that Roundup is safe for general use, but many stores have already stopped selling the product, and some countries, including France, have banned it outright.
Symptoms of Roundup Exposure
Most of the claims against Roundup are from patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, but that’s far from the only possible connection to the chemical. The following lymphomas have also been connected to Roundup:
- Primary central nervous system (CNS) lymphomas
- B-cell lymphoma
- Burkitt lymphoma
- Follicular lymphoma
- Marginal zone B-cell lymphomas
- Mantle cell lymphoma
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma
In addition, Roundup has been linked to the following side-effects, often years after the initial exposure:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Birth defects
- Celiac disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Heart disease
- Liver disease
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Respiratory illnesses
Roundup claims are subject to strict time limits, known as statutes of limitation. Because of this, you should be examined by a doctor and talk to a lawyer about your Roundup exposure as soon as possible.
Proving that Roundup Caused Your Symptoms
For a Roundup lawsuit lawyer to prove that Roundup has caused your injuries, there are a few legal avenues you can take:
- Under a defective design claim, you’ll argue that Roundup was defective in its design because it didn’t perform as safely as an “ordinary consumer” would expect. This type of claim is known as a strict liability claim, since Monsanto is strictly liable, regardless of the care they took to make the product. You merely need to prove the product was defective and that you were harmed as a result.
- Under a failure to warn claim, you’ll need to prove that Monsanto neglected to properly warn its consumers as to Roundup’s risks. This is another type of strict liability claim in which you must prove that Monsanto knew or should have known about Roundup’s risks, and failed to warn you about them.
- A negligent design claim asserts that Monsanto was unreasonably careless in designing Roundup, and that that negligence led to your injuries.
- In a negligent failure to warn case, you’ll assert that Monsanto was unreasonably careless in warning the public about the risks of using Roundup. You’ll need to prove that Monsanto knew about the dangers, failed to warn consumers about them, and that another company under similar circumstances would have warned consumers about the same risks.
Other arguments you might include in your Roundup lawsuit include:
- Breach of express warranty
- Breach of implied warranty
Talk to a Roundup Lawsuit Lawyer!
If you’ve developed non-Hodgkin lymphoma after being exposed to Roundup or other products containing glyphosate, you could be eligible to be included in a Roundup lawsuit against the manufacturer. However, mass tort cases are quite different from individual product liability or personal injury cases. You’ll need a Roundup attorney who’s well-versed in litigating mass tort lawsuits to help you find the compensation you need.
If you’re looking for the best lawyer for Roundup lawsuits, you’re in the right place! The Roundup lawsuit attorneys here at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys have decades of experience helping our clients find the compensation they need to pay for the costs they’ve incurred from their injuries. We’re a Louisiana law firm specializing in personal injury and mass tort law, and we’ve recovered millions of dollars for our clients over the years.
Give our legal team a call at 888.501.7888 today for a free consultation as to your legal options. We treat our clients like family, so you can trust that we’ll do all we can to help make you whole again.