Car Accident Lawyer in Alexandria
After a car accident, you could be frightened, hurt, and confused. If you’re injured, you might become unable to work while racking up thousands in hospital bills and other medical costs. You might also be mourning a loved one killed in the accident, or looking at a lifetime of mobility issues or pain and suffering.
Wherever you are in Louisiana, if you’ve been involved in a car accident you should seek legal counsel to assist you with recovering the compensation you deserve from the at-fault party. If you’re in Alexandria, call Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys at 318.443.8888 for a free consultation about your case.
The Alexandria car accident injury lawyers with Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys have 679+ years of combined legal experience helping car wreck injury victims hold the responsible parties accountable for their negligence. We can help you through the entire claims process, from filing initial paperwork, collecting evidence, negotiating with insurance, and even arguing your case in court.
Click to Contact Our Car Accident Injury Lawyers in Alexandria Today
Louisiana Car Accident Statistics
Car accidents and deaths have been on the rise in Louisiana, with 2021 seeing 914 crashes and 997 deaths that year, a record surpassing 2007’s previous high.
According to the LSU Crash Reports and World Population Review, Louisiana was the 18th-deadliest state in the country for car wrecks. Nearly half of these accidents have involved some type of alcohol abuse, a form of reckless driving and negligence.
Another major cause of deadly Louisiana car accidents is distracted driving, specifically texting while driving. Between 2016 and 2020, nearly 200 people were killed because of distracted driving, and over 20,000 people were injured in distracted driving accidents in 2020 alone. This is why Louisiana has some of the most comprehensive texting and driving laws in the country.
The third main cause of traffic accidents in Louisiana is badly-designed or maintained infrastructure leading to dangerous highways and intersections. Here in Alexandria, some of the most dangerous roads and intersections include
- I-49 at Broadway Avenue
- SR-1 at North Bolton Avenue
- and others
Common Injuries from Alexandria Car Crashes
Every car accident is different. With the variety of causes, crash types, and other variables, the injuries you can suffer vary greatly. That’s why it’s so important to hire a car wreck injury attorney who knows how to get you the highest compensation possible for the injuries and damages you’ve suffered.
In Alexandria, some of the most common injuries our clients have experienced in car accidents include
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries, including whiplash, paralysis, and others
- Broken bones
- Serious burns
- Hearing loss
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Other catastrophic injuries, including amputations
- Eye injuries
- and others
Damages You Could Be Compensated for After an Alexandria Traffic Accident
Louisiana recognizes three main types of compensation in a personal injury case:
- Economic damages are those that can be easily calculated, such as medical bills, lost wages, and the cost of ongoing care such as physical therapy, medical assistive devices, or in-home care. Economic damages can also include the costs of the property damage you suffered in the accident.
- Non-economic damages include those that are less easily calculated. For example, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, mental anguish, or loss of consortium are non-economic damages.
Punitive damages are rarely-awarded damages that are meant to dissuade the defendant from repeating extremely negligent or abusive behavior in the future. These damages are usually only awarded in cases of extreme neglect or wrongdoing.
How Is Liability Determined in an Alexandria Car Wreck?
In Louisiana, the legal doctrine used to determine liability after a car accident is called pure comparative negligence. Using this concept, multiple parties cam be found liable for a collision, and each one will be responsible for damages proportional to their fault.
When applied to your car accident case, pure comparative negligence can mean any of the following:
- More than one party could be found liable for your damages, including
- The other driver(s) responsible for your crash
- Their employer, if they were driving for work
- Government entities such as the Department of Transportation if your crash was caused by unmaintained infrastructure
- Your car’s manufacturer, your dealership, or an auto repair shop, if your crash was caused by a faulty repair or part
- Even if you’re found partially at-fault, you could still be eligible to receive compensation. For example, if you’re found 30% liable for an accident that cost you $10,000 in damages, you can still recover $7,000 from the other party.
Any personal injury lawsuit can become quite complex, especially as more parties are involved. A car accident claim can be one of the more complicated claims to litigate, so it’s vital to hire a car wreck injury lawyer in Alexandria with the experience to guide your case to the outcome you deserve.
When to Hire an Alexandria Car Accident Lawyer
Louisiana law defines a one-year statute of limitations for personal injury cases, so you should call Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys at 318.443.8888 as soon as possible after your accident. That will give us the most time to prepare your claim, and you the best chance to recover the compensation you deserve from the people who are to blame for your injuries.
Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys is an Alexandria law firm with over 679+ years of combined legal experience helping our clients win the maximum compensation to which they’re entitled for their injuries. In fact, we’ve helped injured Alexandria victims recover over $2.5 Billion in compensation following their car accidents.
Give us a call toll free for a free legal consultation. A dedicated injury lawyer will start on your case right away, collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses, and preparing your claim.
Alexandria Car Accident Injury Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out