Semi Truck Accident Lawyer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
From the I-10 and I-12 corridors that see thousands of cars a week, to the state and local thoroughfares Airline Highway, and Florida Boulevard, Baton Rouge sees some of the most traffic per year of any city its size. Even though cars and big rigs are safer now than they’ve ever been, massive 18-wheeler tractor-trailers are still a danger to other drivers. If you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time, you could be caught up in a big truck accident in Baton Rouge.
If you are the victim of a truck accident, you need a Baton Rouge truck accident lawyer on your side with the experience, drive, and passion to fight on your behalf. Trucking companies and their insurance companies know that fairly compensating truck crash victims hurts their bottom line—so they work hard to keep you from the compensation you deserve.
If you’ve been in a truck accident and you’re not at fault, call the Baton Rouge semi truck wreck lawyers at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys to represent you when negotiating compensation or appearing in court.
Click to contact our Truck Accident Lawyers in Baton Rouge Today
Common Causes of Big Truck Accidents
As is the case with most motor vehicle accidents, there can be a wide variety of causes behind semi-truck crashes. Alongside common causes such as driving under the influence or distracted driving, big rig crashes can be caused by a variety of unique circumstances including:
- Blind spots that prevent the truck driver from seeing another vehicle
- Improperly loaded cargo
- Driver fatigue from driving long hours
- An overweight trailer
- Tire blowouts
- Maintenance issues such as brake failure or poorly maintained tires
- And more
Types of Baton Rouge 18 Wheeler Truck Accident Injuries
18-wheelers can weigh up to 20–30 times more than passenger cars, a fact that makes truck collisions truly dangerous. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reports that of the 4,136 people who died in large truck accidents in 2018, two-thirds of them were occupants in passenger cars and smaller vehicles. The injuries people suffer from a big rig collision are varied and generally serious:
Head injuries such as concussions, traumatic brain injuries (TBI), and others often occur in traffic accidents when victims’ heads strike hard surfaces inside the car on impact. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), TBIs are a major cause of disease and disability. Even when a victim does survive, they may experience memory loss, comas, or other permanent disabilities.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Many truck accidents deal direct damage to the spinal cord, causing temporary or permanent paralysis. Paralyzed victims often require wheelchairs or other assistive devices and are left unable to work, for years or even the rest of their lives. Many victims require long and expensive bouts of physical therapy just to get some of their previous ability back.
Paralysis can also weigh heavily on victims’ psyches, causing depression, irritability, anxiety, and other mental conditions. These conditions can also require ongoing therapy and can result in a loss of enjoyment of life and other non-economic damages.
Skeletal fractures are highly common injuries in motor vehicle accidents. Beyond being extremely painful and taking a long time to heal, they can lead to an increased risk for other complications, including blood loss and increased infection risk.
Other injuries caused by 18-wheeler accidents
There are dozens of other injuries you could sustain following a Baton Rouge truck accident. Some of the most common include the following:
- Amputations or other catastrophic injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Damage to internal organs and crushing injuries
- Wrongful death
- And many more
Statute of Limitations for Baton Rouge Truck Accidents
The Louisiana Civil Code Section 3492 outlines the Statute of Limitations for Baton Rouge truck accidents. This law states that any civil action resulting from personal injury or death caused by a truck accident must be brought within one year of the accident date. The one-year period begins on the day the person was injured, or in the case of wrongful death, on the day of death.
It is important to be aware of the Statute of Limitations in Baton Rouge truck accident cases as it can have a significant impact on your case. It is important to speak with an experienced Baton Rouge truck accident lawyer as soon as possible following a crash in order to ensure that you do not miss any deadlines. By talking with a Baton Rouge truck crash attorney, they will be able to help you understand all legal steps and requirements for your claim.
Proven Results of Our Baton Rouge Truck Accident Lawyers
Our Baton Rouge Truck Accident Lawyers at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys have proven time and time again that we are the best in Louisiana with our unbeatable case results. We’ve secured over $2.5 Billion in recovery, showcasing our strong commitment to ensuring fair compensation for our clients. What sets us apart is our exceptional record of achieving 200+ Personal Injury Million+ verdicts and settlements in personal injury cases, which is a testament to our unwavering dedication to delivering substantial results. Our team boasts a collective legal experience of more than 679+ years of combined legal experience, providing you with the confidence that our experienced professionals possess the expertise needed to navigate the complexities of truck accident cases and get you the justice you deserve.
The Benefits of a Baton Rouge Semi Truck Accident Attorney
Navigating the aftermath of a semi-truck accident requires expert assistance. A Baton Rouge Semi-Truck Accident Attorney offers specialized expertise, ensuring accurate guidance through the legal process. Their in-depth knowledge of laws and regulations, coupled with their negotiation skills, maximizes your compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and more. Moreover, they meticulously gather evidence, bolstering your case and providing valuable emotional support as you cope with the aftermath.
Benefits of having a Baton Rouge Semi Truck Accident Attorney:
- Expert Guidance: Their specialized knowledge helps navigate complex legal processes.
- Maximized Compensation: Skilled negotiators secure fair compensation for various financial burdens.
- Evidence Collection: Meticulous gathering of evidence strengthens your case’s chances of success.
- Emotional Support: They provide guidance and support during the emotional aftermath, enabling focus on recovery.
Maneuvering the Intricate Legal Landscape: Baton Rouge Trucking Regulations and Laws
It’s crucial to know the ins and outs of Baton Rouge’s trucking regulations before driving around the city. Both city and state laws contribute to a web of rules that drivers, regardless of experience, must comprehend before operating within the city.
Here are some steps for maneuvering the intricate legal landscape of Baton Rouge trucking regulations:
- Familiarize Yourself with Speed Limits: Understand the varying speed limits, such as 25 mph in residential areas and 35 mph in commercial districts, to ensure compliance and safe driving.
- Prioritize Vehicle Inspections and Licensing: All trucks entering the city must undergo thorough inspections before hitting the roads. Additionally, possessing the appropriate licenses is mandatory before embarking on any journey.
- Mind the Weight Limits: Be aware that Baton Rouge enforces strict weight limits. Trucks should not exceed a gross vehicle weight of 80,000 pounds on city roads. Pay attention to specific axle weight limits, which vary based on the road being traveled, to avoid potential fines and penalties.
Uncovering Liability in Accidents: Investigating Trucking Companies and Drivers
When a truck-related accident occurs, determining liability is crucial, and an investigation is essential to uncover responsibility. Typically, this investigation focuses on both the trucking company and the driver, aiming to identify any violations of laws or regulations.
Steps to Uncover Liability in Accidents Involving Trucking Companies and Drivers:
- Driver Compliance Check: Assess whether the truck driver was adhering to state and federal laws. Review their logbook to ensure proper breaks were taken and verify their licensing and training credentials. If violations are identified, the driver can be held responsible for resulting damages.
- Trucking Company Evaluation: Examine the company’s hiring, training, maintenance, and safety protocols. If negligence is found in providing proper training or ensuring truck maintenance, the company can also be held accountable for damages.
Seek Legal Counsel: Due to the complexity of legal processes following truck accidents, consider enlisting a qualified Baton Rouge semi truck accident attorney. With their expertise, victims can explore their legal rights and options, pursuing rightful compensation for injuries and damages sustained.
What to Do After You’ve Been in a Semi-Truck Accident
After you’ve been hit by a truck in Baton Rouge, Central, or Gonzales, you could be dazed, in shock, or in pain. If you can safely, get away from the flow of traffic and check the passengers of your vehicle for injuries. Then, follow these steps on what to do after being involved in an 18-wheeler crash:
- Call 911 immediately. Always call the police to assess the situation and collect statements from yourself and the other party, and if anyone is hurt, call an ambulance for life-saving help. Even if no one seems hurt, some injuries can take hours or even days to present symptoms—so it’s always a good idea to get examined.
- Call Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys for a free consultation, or fill out our quick and easy form online to see if your case qualifies.
- Once your case has been evaluated, our team gets to work right away on gathering evidence, building your case, and getting you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Truck Accident Compensation Claims You Could Be Eligible For
Compensation for big rig victims can range from the tens of thousands to the low millions of dollars, but there are a lot of variables that can determine the compensation you can expect from your case. Talk to an experienced injury attorney to calculate the total costs of your damages, including the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle, hospital and medical bills you incur, your past and future lost wages, your pain and suffering, and your attorney’s fees.
Whatever you’re going through, you shouldn’t handle your case alone. The injury attorneys at Gordon McKernan are trained professionals who know Louisiana law inside and out, and we work closely with the people in the court system here. We know what avenues and tactics will get you the compensation you deserve.
Stand Up To Big Trucks! Contact Our 18 Wheeler Accident Injury Attorneys Today
If you’ve been injured in an 18-wheeler accident near Baton Rouge, give Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys a call today at 225.888.8888. We’re dedicated to helping our community members heal after what can be a devastating event, which is why we won’t charge you a dime until we win or settle your case, that’s the G Guarantee.
Baton Rouge Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out