Houma Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Houma boasts a vibrant cultural scene surrounded by the lush and picturesque bayous of the Sportsman’s Paradise. Widely considered the de facto capital of deep bayou country, the many pleasures of the region’s robust culture are easily accessible. However, even amongst the rich wetlands of Louisiana, it is always essential to be aware of the potential risk of motorcycle accidents.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a motorcycle crash and are seeking legal representation from a Houma motorcycle accident attorney, you’ve come to the right place.
At Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys, our team of experienced motorcycle accident attorneys understand the impact of motorcycle accidents and are committed to providing legal support to those affected. Our goal is to help you obtain the justice and compensation you deserve. Let our team of Louisiana personal injury attorneys fight for you!
Click to Contact Our Houma Motorcycle Accident Injury Lawyers in Houma Today
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Houma
The primary cause of motorcycle accidents often occurs from driver negligence. Due to motorcycles’ smaller frames, you are more likely to be overlooked by other drivers, especially in high-traffic areas, high speed limit zones, narrow roads, and while driving at night.
All drivers are responsible for ensuring road safety for every road user, including motorcyclists, and failure to uphold this responsibility constitutes negligent driving. This lack of consideration for driving safety can be found in various forms, including:
- Reckless / Aggressive Driving: This includes actions like failing to yield, speeding, or tailgating, which can put motorcyclists at risk.
- Driving Under the Influence: Operating a vehicle while drunk or intoxicated significantly elevates the risk of accidents involving motorcycles.
- Distracted Driving: Engaging in distractions while driving, such as texting or using a phone, diverts attention from the road and poses a danger to motorcyclists.
- Fatigued Driving: Driving while drowsy or fatigued impairs a driver’s reaction time and judgment, increasing the likelihood of accidents with motorcycles.
- Sudden Swerving: Abruptly changing lanes in front of a motorcyclist can lead to dangerous situations and accidents.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: Failing to check blind spots or signaling while changing lanes can result in collisions with motorcyclists.
- Failure to Notice Motorcyclists at Intersections: Misjudging the presence or speed of an approaching motorcycle when making turns at intersections can lead to accidents.
These are just some examples of negligent behaviors that can endanger motorcyclists on the road. All drivers must remain vigilant, practice responsible driving, and be aware of the presence of motorcycles to prevent accidents and ensure the safety of everyone on the road.
Promoting Safer Roads in Houma: Guidelines for Shared Responsibility
If you are a motorcycle driver:
- Wear Protective Gear: Always wear appropriate protective gear, including a DOT-approved helmet, gloves, long sleeves, pants, and sturdy boots. This gear will help provide additional protection in the event of an accident and will help increase your visibility to others on the road.
- Practice Defensive Riding: Always anticipate potential hazards on the road, maintain a safe following distance from other vehicles, and avoid riding in a car’s blind spots when possible. Learning and practicing defensive riding will ensure you are prepared to react to almost any situation and keep yourself and others safe.
- Use Turn Signals and Follow Traffic Rules: When turning or merging, make sure you signal your intentions clearly and utilize your turn signals. Following and respecting all traffic laws will help reduce the risk of accidents and maintain predictability for other drivers.
If you are an automobile driver:
- Watch for Motorcycles: Be attentive and actively scan the road for motorcycles, especially at intersections and when changing lanes. Motorcycles can be less visible, so make a conscious effort to look for them.
- Maintain Safe Following Distances: Keep a safe distance from motorcycles, leaving enough space for them to maneuver safely. Avoid tailgating, as motorcycles may need to stop more suddenly than cars.
- Avoid Distractions: Stay focused on driving and avoid distractions such as texting, talking on the phone, or eating. Distracted driving poses a significant risk to all road users, including motorcyclists.
Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries You May Experience in Houma
Motorcycle accidents often result in more severe injuries compared to other types of accidents due to the limited protection riders have and can leave a profound impact on your well-being. Motorcyclists are highly exposed, making them more vulnerable to the impact of a crash.
Following a motorcycle collision, you may face escalating medical expenses, intensive physical therapy, and an extended recovery process, which can potentially affect your life for weeks, months, or even years.
Common injuries that can occur in motorcycle crashes include:
- Severe Burns: Contact with hot surfaces or chemicals can cause severe burns, leading to long-term complications.
- Neck Injuries: The abrupt impact of a motorcycle accident can result in neck injuries, which may require extensive medical attention.
- Broken Bones: Fractures and broken bones are common injuries in motorcycle accidents and may necessitate surgical intervention.
- Amputations: In severe cases, the trauma from an accident may lead to amputations of limbs, significantly affecting one’s quality of life.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries and Head Injuries: Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, can have lasting cognitive and physical effects, often requiring ongoing medical care.
- Wrongful Death: Tragically, motorcycle accidents can result in fatalities, causing immense emotional and financial hardship for the victim’s family.
- Scrapes, Road Rash, Bruises, and Disfigurement: These injuries, though less severe, can still cause pain, discomfort, and disfigurement.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can lead to partial or total paralysis, profoundly impacting a person’s life.
Our experienced Houma motorcycle accident lawyers at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys have the skills to make you feel whole again. We fight hard to make sure your compensation will cover all of your expenses, not only for today but also for the months and years to come.
We’ll work to win compensation to cover any of your personal or financial damages, including:
- Current and future medical bills, emergency room stays, and hospital bills.
- Costs related to treating your injury, including but not limited to physical therapy, medical devices, in-home care, etc.
- Lost wages and earning capacity from your inability to work during and/or after recovery.
- Life-altering changes in your mental and emotional well-being.
- Permanent disfigurement or scarring.
What Should I Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
In the aftermath of a motorcycle accident, it is crucial to act swiftly and decisively. If possible, first ensure your safety by moving to a secure area and conducting a self-assessment for injuries to prevent any further harm. Afterward, consider the following steps:
- Call 911 Immediately: Seek immediate medical assistance and ensure the filing of a police report to document the incident.
- Record Damages: Identify and make note of any personal injuries, as well as assess any damage sustained by your motorcycle.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact information and insurance details with all parties involved in the accident.
- Medical Assessment: Arrange a thorough medical evaluation with a healthcare professional.
- Collect Evidence: Gather comprehensive evidence of your injuries, including records of therapy, medical expenses, repair invoices, and even details about your clothing during the accident.
- Call a Houma Motorcycle Crash Attorney: Contact our attorneys so we can get you the compensation you deserve.
Do not be discouraged from calling a Houma motorcycle accident attorney if you are unable to take some of the actions outlined above. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, a motorcycle accident lawyer near Houma can move quickly to preserve evidence of the collision, such as camera footage, that can help strengthen your case.
Why Choose Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys?
With over 679+ years of combined legal experience, we’ve helped residents of Houma and all of Louisiana recover over $2.5 Billion in damages after their accidents—and we’re confident we can help you too. Our law firm has successfully won 200+ Personal Injury Million+ verdicts and settlements for our clients.
We are committed to all of our local motorcyclists and their well-being, and our goal is to provide the support you need and to ensure you receive the highest possible compensation for your injuries and any other losses you may incur. Now is the time to Get Gordon and Get it Done!
If You Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Near Houma, Get Gordon!
Houma Motorcycle Accident Injury Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out