Car Accident Lawyer in Baton Rouge
If you’ve been involved in a Baton Rouge car accident, you’re likely struggling with pain and suffering from your injuries, mounting medical bills from your recovery, lost wages due to an inability to work, and more. In a matter of seconds, an auto accident can change your life.
When your injuries and other damages were caused by someone else’s negligence, you could be entitled to financial compensation. A Baton Rouge car accident lawyer with Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys can help you recover the compensation you deserve to heal from your injuries and move on with your life. If you’ve been injured in any kind of accident with a vehicle, contact our Louisiana car accident law firm today for a free legal consultation.
Click to contact our Baton Rouge Car Accident Injury Lawyers Today
What Causes Baton Rouge Car Accidents?
While every car accident is unique, our Baton Rouge car accident lawyers have experience navigating crashes caused by a wide variety of circumstances. We have over 679+ years of combined legal experience helping Louisianans recover compensation for their car crash damages, and we can help you too.
As a Baton Rouge car accident law firm, Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys are uniquely positioned to litigate on behalf of Baton Rouge car accident victims because we regularly work with clients experiencing the most common types of accidents in Baton Rouge. These include
- Drunk driving, which led to 12 fatal car accidents in Baton Rouge in 2019
- Distracted driving behaviors, including texting while driving, have led to a consistent rise in Baton Rouge car accident statistics in the past years
- Drowsy driving accidents are most common at night but can happen at any time of day, especially on long, straight stretches of monotonous interstate
- Reckless driving behaviors such as speeding and tailgating put everyone else on the road at risk, especially during high-traffic times of day like rush hour
- Road construction or poorly maintained infrastructure
According to the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission, the four main contributing factors to 78% of fatal crashes are distraction, alcohol, aggressive driving, and failure to wear a safety belt.
Who Is Held Liable After a Baton Rouge Traffic Accident?
Louisiana civil courts determine the at-fault party in a car crash using a legal doctrine known as pure comparative negligence. Multiple parties can be found responsible for an accident, and each liable party is responsible for a share of the total damage based on how much of the fault is theirs.
After your car accident, an experienced Baton Rouge car accident injury lawyer can help you prove that other parties in the crash are liable for your injuries. These parties could include
- Other drivers contributing to the crash due to their negligence or wrongdoing
- If the driver was working, their employer could be held liable for unsafe business practices
- If the crash was caused by construction or poor infrastructure, government entities, construction companies, and others could be held liable
- Car manufacturers or mechanics can be held liable if they made errors while manufacturing, maintaining, or repairing your vehicle
Pure comparative negligence means that, even if you’re found partially liable for your damages, you can still recover a portion of them. For example, if you’ve been found 50% liable in a Baton Rouge traffic accident that caused $10,000 in damages, you’ll be eligible to receive $5,000 from the other party.
Because of the possibility of multiple liable parties, each sharing a portion of the blame, a Louisiana car crash injury case can be complicated. The team with Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys have 679+ years of combined legal experience with automobile accidents, and because we’re located locally right off Hilton Avenue in Baton Rouge, we specialize in helping Baton Rouge traffic accident victims gain the compensation they deserve. We have a proven track record of helping our clients win: over the years our clients have recovered $3 Billion from those responsible for their injuries.
Injuries Caused by a Baton Rouge Car Wreck
That being said, some injuries are more likely than others in a Louisiana auto accident. According to LSU’s Center for Analytics & Research in Transport Safety, East Baton Rouge Parish residents suffered over 7,000 injuries in 2022 alone, including
- Head injuries
- Back and neck injuries, which can result in total paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Eye injuries
- Spinal cord injuries leading to partial paralysis
- Broken bones
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death
Most Dangerous Roads in Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge traffic ranks as the fourth worst in the United States, so accidents can happen anywhere in the parish. However, if you’ve been driving in the city long, you’re probably aware of the most dangerous roads and intersections in Baton Rouge, which include
- Nicholson Drive between downtown and LSU averages 400 accidents per year, likely due to university and contraflow after LSU football games.
- O’Neal Lane between Harrell’s Ferry and I-12 sees around 350 car accidents a year, likely because of interstate traffic overflow.
- Staring Lane, between Highland and Perkins, is highly residential but also heavily trafficked, resulting in over 300 collisions every year.
- Highland Road from its intersection with I-10 to Airline Highway is particularly dangerous, with nearly 250 car crashes a year.
- Burbank Drive between Lee and Bluebonnet is under heavy development—all that construction and the traffic it causes contributes to over 200 traffic accidents every year.
Damages You Can Recover After a Baton Rouge Car Accident
Under Louisiana law, there are three categories of recoverable damage that car accident victims can claim. The strategy we’ll pursue in your case will depend on which of the following applies:
The most common type of claim, negligence means that the liable party neglected their duty of care to ensure your safety and the safety of other drivers. Some examples of negligence include drunk, distracted, and aggressive driving.
Victims of wrecks caused by faulty brakes, blown-out tires, malfunctioning airbags, or other mechanical issues can seek compensation in a product liability claim. Product liability cases seek compensation from the manufacturer or marketer for a faulty product that causes injury.
If you’ve lost your partner, parent, child, or another loved one in a car crash, you could be eligible to seek compensation through a wrongful death case. The funds you recover from a wrongful death claim can help you pay for their medical expenses and funeral, as well as cover the wages they can no longer provide to your family and your loss of consortium with the deceased.
Baton Rouge Car Crash Cases We Can Handle
Every car wreck is different, so if you’ve been involved in one, you need an experienced car crash injury attorney to guide your case to completion. The Baton Rouge car crash injury lawyers with Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys have decades of experience helping our Louisiana car accident clients get the compensation they deserve after all of the following types of wrecks:
- 18-Wheeler accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Pedestrian collisions
- Parking lot accidents
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Rear end collisions
- Head-on collisions
- Accidents with uninsured motorists
- T-bone collisions
- Self-driving car collisions
- Red light accidents
- Multi-car pile-ups
- Taxi and rideshare accidents
- and others
You need a lawyer for your car accident that you can trust. A Baton Rouge car accident lawyer from Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys is a trustworthy, dedicated advocate for you and your family in this trying time. Recovering from a car crash is difficult enough on its own—let us handle the legal details.
What Compensation Can I Expect from My Louisiana Car Wreck?
After any car accident case, you need an experienced and driven Baton Rouge accident claim lawyer on your side to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. When you hire Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys, we’ll work with forensic, medical, and psychiatric experts to determine the total costs of your damages, including:
- Medical expenses
- Costs of mental and physical therapy
- Current and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Damage to your property
If your loved one was killed in the accident, you could also be eligible for the following wrongful death damages:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of support and protection from the deceased
- Loss of wages and other benefits previously provided by the deceased
- Loss of consortium with the deceased
In extreme cases of negligence or wrongdoing, the defendant may be charged with punitive damages to discourage them from future negligence. These damages are rarely awarded to plaintiffs, but we can help you determine if they’re warranted in your case.
Do I Need a Police Report to File a Claim?
The short answer is no, a police report is not required to file a car accident injury claim. However, a police report can serve as a crucial piece of evidence in your case, and in fact, Louisiana law requires a report if the crash includes drunk driving, bodily injury, death, or property damage over $500.
Even minor crashes should be reported to the Baton Rouge Police Department, and if you are injured, you should call 911 for paramedics as well. The details of the official police report, as well as those in the paramedics’ reports, will serve as definitive records of your accident.
Other evidence you can collect at the scene includes pictures, witness information, and a personal log of your own injuries and property damage. Missing evidence will force insurance, the judge, and the jury to weigh your word against the other party’s. This will likely lead to less compensation for your injuries.
When Should I Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident?
The earlier you can hire an experienced Baton Rouge motor vehicle accident lawyer, the better result you can expect from your case. When you hire us, Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys will get started on your case right away by doing the following:
- Collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses to develop a full picture of your losses
- Consulting with financial and medical experts to determine a fair settlement
- Negotiating with insurance companies to ensure you get the settlement you need
- Appealing a denied insurance claim
- Arguing your case in court
You’ll get the most benefit by hiring a Baton Rouge car accident attorney right away, but it’s never too late. Give us a call at 888.616.2068 for a free, no-risk consultation.
Call the Baton Rouge Auto Accident Lawyers Today
A Baton Rouge car wreck can change your life forever. If you’ve been injured in a car accident that was someone else’s fault, you deserve compensation for your injuries and other damages.
Call the experienced Baton Rouge car wreck lawyers with Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys at 888.616.2068 today. You’ll receive a free consultation with a dedicated attorney, and we’ll start building your case right away.
We’re dedicated to helping our clients through traumatic situations and getting them the financial support they need to heal. Hire the Get Gordon team for the advocate you need and the legal protections you deserve. Our Baton Rouge injury lawyers are ready to help you!
Baton Rouge Car Accident Injury Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out