Semi Truck Accident Lawyer in Hammond, Louisiana
Situated as it is at the intersections of I-55 and I-12, as well as US-190 and US-51, Hammond sees millions of cars and trucks within its city limits every year. Unfortunately, with more highway traffic comes more highway accidents.
Luckily, cars are being made safer all the time, with driver assistance features and advanced safety technology, so your average car-on-car collision results in less injury to those involved. However, if a wreck involves a 18-wheeler truck weighing tens of tons, no amount of tech may be enough to prevent damage, personal injury, or even death.
If you or someone you know has been hit by a tractor trailer near Hammond, you need a personal injury lawyer with the knowledge and persistence to stand up against the trucking company’s insurance. These companies know that compensating you fairly hurts their bottom line, so they work very hard to keep you from the money you deserve.
If you need a lawyer who is committed to protecting your interests and not backing down, contact Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys today for a free consultation about your case. We’ll represent you throughout your case’s negotiation, even if it means going to court.
Click to contact our Truck Accident Lawyers in Hammond Today
Types of Truck Injuries in Hammond
According to the National Safety Council, more than 150,000 people were injured in crashes that involved a semi or tractor trailer in 2019. Of these, more than two-thirds of the reported injuries were suffered by the occupants of the other, usually much smaller, vehicle. Such a lop-sided collision can lead to a variety of injuries, from scrapes and bruises to much more catastrophic conditions, such as:
Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and other head injuries
Considered one of the most serious injuries you can suffer, a traumatic brain injury can be caused by the victims’ head hitting hard surfaces inside their car, such as the steering wheel, doors, or windows, during a collision. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), TBIs are a leading cause of disease and disability, including long-term memory loss, coma, and even death.
Spinal cord injuries
Damage to the spinal cord can result in a wide range of injuries, but chief among them is disability, up to and including total paralysis. Commonly, spinal cord injury victims may require assistive devices like wheelchairs or may lose their ability to work for weeks, months, or even years.
Some of the most common injuries seen in tractor-trailer accidents are skeletal dislocations and fractures. Besides causing pain and hindering mobility, a broken bone could potentially lead to more severe complications such as internal bleeding, infection, or worse.
Back and neck injuries
Even low speed collisions with a semi truck have great potential to leave victims with longlasting injuries. Damage to the back is all too common in the event of an accident, and neck injuries such as whiplash can lead to further complications down the road.
Causes of Louisiana Truck Accidents
Truck drivers often work long shifts, with early mornings and late nights, while driving their freight across the country. While there are state and federal regulations requiring truck drivers to take frequent breaks, the pressures of deadline deliveries and uneven enforcement lead many truckers to ignore those rules from time to time. Even when followed to the letter, truck drivers can still be at risk of the following conditions that can lead to a crash:
- Driving while fatigued is one of the most common causes of truck accidents. Drowsiness can impair driving as badly or worse than alcohol, causing a driver to make poor decisions and react to changing traffic more slowly.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is another common cause of big rig collisions in Louisiana. If you can prove the driver willfully drove while impaired, you’re likely to receive more in compensation.
- While unbalanced cargo might not seem important, in a truck carrying tons of freight at a time it can be a major contributor to a truck wreck. Improperly loaded or overweight cargo can inhibit the driver’s ability to maneuver and control the truck, increasing the chance of a jackknife or other deadly accident.
- Because of their size, 18-wheelers have much larger blind spots than passenger vehicles. As you drive around a truck, make sure you can see the driver in their rear-view mirrors—if you can’t see them, they can’t see you. Don’t linger in a trucker’s blind spot for long; move around them or shift lanes if you can.
- Improper maintenance of a semi truck can lead to braking issues, powertrain failure, and other mechanical issues that can cause a devastating truck accident.
What To Do After a Hammond Truck Accident
If you’ve been hit by a semi or tractor trailer near Hammond, you may understandably not know what to do after your crash. Your first priority should be to get somewhere safe, away from the vehicle and away from the flow of traffic. Once you have checked yourself and anyone else with you for injuries, do the following:
- Call the police and emergency medical service, if necessary. The police will likely document the scene and take statements from everyone involved, while the EMS can attend to any injuries or medical needs on the scene.
- Call Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys immediately at 985.888.8888 for a free consultation, or fill out our easy-to-use online form to see if your case qualifies.
- Let our team do what we do best, gathering evidence and building the strongest case we can to hold the trucking company accountable, and to help you get the compensation you deserve!
Potential Compensation From Truck Accidents
It’s hard to determine just how much to expect in compensation from a truck accident case. Previous settlements have ranged from thousands of dollars to the low millions, but there are numerous factors that are considered when figuring that final number. It’s best to talk to a seasoned and experienced injury attorney to calculate your total damages, including
- The cost of repairs for your vehicle
- Your medical bills and rehabilitation costs
- Your lost wages, both present and future
- Lawyer fees
The team at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys are thoroughly versed in Louisiana law and work closely with the people involved. We know the best way to win your case, and how to get you the proper compensation.
Contact Our 18-Wheeler Accident Injury Attorneys Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in an 18-Wheeler accident near Hammond, give Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys a call today. We’re dedicated to helping you heal after such a traumatic experience. Call us at 985.888.8888 for a free consultation about your case.
Hammond Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out