Semi Truck Accident Lawyer in Zachary, Louisiana
Zachary, Louisiana is home to a long stretch of LA-19, a trucking thoroughfare between the city of Baton Rouge and northern parts of East Baton Rouge Parish and beyond. The sheer number of trucks coming off I-110 has led to an increase in traffic collisions resulting in personal injuries, and even wrongful deaths in Zachary and the surrounding area.
Of course, cars, trucks, and SUVs have also been becoming safer over time, with active and passive safety systems, better construction, and other considerations. The massive weight difference between passenger vehicles and 18-wheelers, however, means that the possibility for catastrophic injury or property damage is still a major risk in a truck wreck.
If you’ve suffered from a tractor-trailer accident near Zachary, you need a personal injury lawyer you can trust to fight for your interests. Remember, trucking companies only care about their bottom lines, so they’ll try to pay out as little as possible. We know that you need more than the minimum to heal from your injuries and move on with your life, so get The Lawyer On The Truck™!
Click to contact our Zachary Truck Accident Lawyers Today
Causes of Big Truck Wrecks
Just like with any standard passenger vehicle, a tractor trailer accident can stem from a near limitless number of factors, however, crashes can be be attributed to a number of common causes including, but not limited to:
- Jackknifing caused by improperly loaded or overweight cargo trailers
- Larger than average blind spots that prohibit truck drivers from seeing other vehicles on the road
- Hazardous road conditions
- Truck driver fatigue caused by long hours on the road
- Aggressive driving such as speeding
- Tire blowouts
- Truck maintenance issues such as brake failures or powertrain problems
- And more
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Because 18-wheelers weigh between 20 to 30 times more than the average commuter car, they take much longer to stop and can cause much more damage in an accident. If you do experience a collision with a tractor trailer, your outcome can be grim. In fact, around two-thirds of the people who die in a truck accident are those in the passenger car. Even if you survive the collision itself, you can experience a number of injuries, including the following:
- Spinal cord injuries, which can result in long-term or permanent disability including total paralysis below the injury. Victims often require wheelchairs or other assistive devices, lose work, and experience significant changes in their quality of life.
- Head injuries, especially traumatic brain injuries (TBI) occur when a victim’s head strikes the hard surfaces inside their car, like the windows, dashboard, steering wheel, and doors. Even after surviving a TBI, the victim’s quality of life can be significantly impacted, including long-term memory loss and other major mental issues.
- Broken bones are very common after truck wrecks, as well as skeletal dislocations. Victims experience extreme pain and a loss of mobility for weeks or months, as well as an increased risk of other health issues like blood loss and infection.
- Whiplash can occur when the head moves back and forward suddenly and forcefully, and injures the muscles and ligaments of the neck. While whiplash is relatively minor as far as injuries go, it can cause long-term discomfort. Symptoms can appear days or even weeks after your semi truck accident, so it’s important to be aware of its existence.
- Accidents involving large trucks can also lead to burn injuries if the gasoline or diesel lines are severed and there’s a spark. If you’re not able to exit your vehicle quickly enough, you could suffer burns ranging in severity from relatively minor first-degree burns, to debilitating third- or even fourth-degree burns.
- Victims can experience a number of other catastrophic injuries as well including limb amputations, back injuries, eye damage, and other injuries that can have permanent, lifelong effects.
What to do after a Zachary truck accident
If you’ve been hit by a truck in Louisiana, you’ll likely be unsure of what to do after your accident. The first thing you should do is pull over safely and call 911. Once you’ve given your statement to the police officer at the scene and received medical care from first responders, do the following:
- Other than reporting the accident to your insurance company, do not communicate with them further. Insurance companies are incentivized to settle claims as quickly and cheaply as possible, so they’ll likely make a low settlement offer right away. However, that amount is rarely enough to help you heal from your injuries.
- Call Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys at 225.888.8888 for a free consultation, or see if your case qualifies online by filling out our intake form.
- Once we’ve determined your case’s eligibility, we’ll begin gathering evidence and building your case to help you get the compensation you need to move on with your life.
What to expect after making your truck wreck accident claim
Typically, monetary settlements and truck accident judgments result in plaintiff awards ranging from the tens of thousands to low millions of dollars. This compensation is dependent on a number of factors, including costs relating to your medical and hospital bills, repair or replacement of your vehicle, and the cost of lost work.
A knowledgeable injury attorney is paramount in a truck accident injury case. The experienced Louisiana injury lawyers at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys are highly qualified professionals who have 679+ years of combined legal experience negotiating and arguing truck accident injury cases. We know how to help you get the compensation you deserve.
The Big Rig Accident Attorneys in Zachary
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries from an 18-wheeler crash near Zachary, reach out to Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys. We’re experienced truck accident lawyers who are committed to helping our clients get back to their lives after facing a life-altering crash. We won’t charge you a dime until we win or settle your case, that’s the G Guarantee.
You deserve fiscal compensation to help you heal from the pain and suffering you’ve experienced through no fault of your own. Call The One On The Truck™ at Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys today at 225.888.8888 for your free legal consultation.
Zachary Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me
How It Works
Filing a claim with Gordon Mckernan Injury Attorneys is easy! Simply follow the steps below.
Get Your Free Consultation
An Attorney Will Reach Out