If you’ve been injured at work, Louisiana law provides for you to collect benefits while you recover through its workers’ compensation system. However, the benefits are only available to those who aren’t working – generally, you cannot work while receiving Louisiana workers’ comp benefits.
The thinking is, if you’re able to be gainfully employed despite your injuries, you’re not in the target demographic for the worker’s compensation program. Louisiana workers’ comp insurance coverage helps to pay for the following:
- Accidents or injuries that happened on the clock and that require medical care
- Indemnity benefits, also known as lost wages, help cover an employee’s living expenses when they’re unable to work as they’re recovering from a workplace injury
- Disability benefits, when an employee’s injury is so severe that it precludes them from being able to work at all, can compensate an employee for up to 75% of their previous wages
- Ongoing care after a serious injury that causes permanent disability or health issues
- Funeral costs, in the tragic event of an employee death
- Illnesses caused by harmful chemicals and other materials the employee has been exposed to at work
What to Do If You’ve Been Injured at Work
If you’ve been injured at work, you should immediately seek medical attention. Not only will the medical staff treat your injuries and get you on the path to health, they’ll also provide important documentation of your injuries to help your workers’ comp claim proceed smoothly.
That being said, employers, insurance providers, and sometimes even the state can deny your application for workers’ compensation benefits. If that’s the case, you need an experienced Louisiana workers’ comp lawyer on your side to help you get the benefits you need.
Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys is a Louisiana law firm with over 679+ years of combined legal experience helping clients win their workers’ compensation claim cases. Give us a call at 888.501.7888 for a free consultation about your case, and we’ll start collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses, and finding experts to testify on your behalf right away. We promise to do everything we can to help you get the compensation you deserve.
GET HELP NOW!